Differences Between DIN and INT / Yoke Valves

| Articles

All modern SCUBA tanks use one of two kinds of valves: DIN or INT (“yoke”) valves. Regulator first stages have corresponding connections, and one won’t fit on the other regulators and adapters.

What is an INT / yoke valve?

INT is an abbreviation; it stands for ‘International’ and it’s by far the most common type of valve you’ll see in recreational diving (outside Europe). You can easily identify a yoke valve by the o-ring seal on the front of the valve and dimpled guide for the yoke on the back. The regulator is screwed, yoke-style, onto the valve where air pressure (and a properly-greased o-ring) maintain a tight seal.

What is a DIN valve / adaptor?

DIN is an acronym – Deutsche Industrie Norm. Unlike yoke valves, DINs have a threaded opening where a regulator screws into the valve, and no o-ring (it’s found on the first stage in DIN systems). DIN valves are rated for higher pressure than yokes, making them indispensable for technical/deep diving.

Almost all tank manufacturers offer both tank valve systems, and DIN/INT adaptors for your regulator are readily available – it’s easy to switch between the two while travelling.